Wednesday, July 13, 2011

And so it continues

Although it's a new beginning- a new trip, new country, new everything, it's really just a continuation of last year. New moments, but same reality. It's almost like I took a break from real life just to go to medical school for a year and am now returning to an unknown that still feels more like home than Philly sometimes does.

Let me begin with a quick story of how this trip is just me getting back in line with the universe and continuing with where I left off last year but with a little more textbook knowledge up my sleeve. Last year, I made it a habit of sitting next to really wise older men whenever I was being transported from one location to another. Well, the pattern continued with my flight from Fankfurt to Delhi. I had the privilege to sit next to the Vice Chairman of Neurology from University of California San Fransisco, Dr. Lowenstein. That conversation may have been the most reassuring conversation I could have asked for as I was heading into the unknown once again. It was so exciting to meet someone who has been through the whole medical school process before, who is also a change-maker and a teacher. Not to mention, he's had a go with global health and was more than encouraging and open to my ideas for global health and my integrative perspective on medicine. It's really not every day you get a go ahead for some "out-there" and traditionally unmentioned ideas in medical school from someone in the field, so let's just stay I felt that much more confidant stepping off the plane.

1 comment: